Sunday, November 13, 2022

Book Review: Creative Interventions Workbook

Image: the cover of the book is a light teal background with a black and white linocut print of a fern unfurling in the center. Across the top in large white letters is "creative interventions workbook." Below that in small letters is "practical tools to stop interpersonal violence." On the bottom there are four circles with symbols in them- a bee, a conch shell, a gear with a wrench, and an ocean wave.

Creative Interventions has been a valuable resource for quite some time, but the print publication of their Toolkit and now Workbook by AK Press has given them much needed further reach. I read and reviewed the toolkit in the past out and found it to be incredibly helpful and informative instruction on dealing with abuse, violence, and other harms perpetuated in a variety of communities without relying on authoritarian state systems that often do not help and can make the problems worse. The toolkit is also a textbook sized, repetitive, massive volume that many people may not have the time, energy, or persistence to get through. I tried to read it cover to cover, but admittedly ended up skimming much of it halfway through due to the size and repetition. The repetition is not a bad thing- it allows the book to be broken up, copied into sections, and shared without constantly reading through the whole thing. But, a more condensed overall review of the processes was much needed (and requested of the organizers.)

Enter the Creative Interventions Workbook: a small volume that is far more accessible and less intimidating. This will allow more people to access and use the information. CI makes it clear that the workbook is not meant as a replacement for the Toolkit and that they are meant to be used in tandem. However, realistically, the important thing is to get as much information to people as is possible. They acknowledged this in the toolkit as well- encouraging people to find ways to share the info with those who have barriers of ability, lack of time, etc. Even in college courses, most people are not reading their textbooks cover to cover. Since the toolkit is designed in a way that different sections can be referenced separately, the workbook allows people to get the gist of things while also helping them understand what parts of the toolkit are most important to reference. The workbook also condenses much of the written exercises, allowing people to do that work in one smaller space, rather than sifting through or marking up the larger volume. 

A personal access note: I have pretty painful arthritis in my hands and wrists as well as some coordination issues that legit make big heavy books a massive pain to hold up and read. There is a significant difference when I can hold up something light and read anywhere vs lugging something heavy that I can only read at my desk. Ebooks can be a solution to some of this, but with the great design of the CI series, I end up preferring the print versions. I also adore the art by Kill Joy on the cover.

All in all, the workbook is an excellent partner to the toolkit as well as something that can be used on its own when that's the only option. I hope these methods are able to be used by more communities granting us all more protection from the state and better solutions to very human problems.

This was also posted to my goodreads.

5 comments:

  1. This toolkit sucks. They gave an anti-oppression policy in section 5.3 but they don’t actually do anything when someone on their team is doing egregious violence to disabled survivors in multiple cities. They do absolutely nothing. And when they also plaster the names of abusers all over the toolkit and website and ignore abd silence survivors who communicate about it they don’t follow their own anti-oppression policy. So they can translate it into Spanish, French, and German but that doesn’t mean much when they knowingly promote violence and fail to address it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are pretty big accusations and I don't personally know the authors so I'm not sure what you're referring to. Can you share more about the violence you're saying a member committed and more about the mentioned ignoring of survivors?

      Delete
  2. Well I tried but then it said my comment was too long and after making the effort I lost it all before I could edit it to make it shorter. I wish people could just do less harm so it’s possible to be more concise. Maybe I’ll try again tomorrow. I don’t know if I can rewrite it. It was hard the first time. But thank you for asking questions instead of making assumptions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep trying to share more to answer your question but the first time the comment was apparently too long and disappeared when I tried to publish it. Then when I tried again with something shorter it looks like nothing went through. I don’t know how to fix it. I don’t know if I can even tule it again. I wish people would do less harm so I can be more concise…

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happens to the best of us. Next time type it somewhere else that won't give you a limit then paste it in.

    ReplyDelete