Friday, April 29, 2022

Book Review: A Guerrilla Guide to Refusal

Image: the cover of the book is a white background with old school typerwriter lettering. Most of the cover is black X's, some of which are covering other black letters. In red in the center is the title, below that is the author's name "Andrew Culp" 

I chose not to give this book a rating because, to be honest, I did not understand enough of it in order to judge the content. I am not a stranger to academic books and knew that this was from an academic institution and that Andrew Culp was an academic. I often note problems with accessibility when reading these texts- especially on topics that are meant to appeal to the masses or the vulnerable- then continue on to review the content. I can't do too much of that with this. I was drawn in by the title and assumed anything called "A Guerrilla Guide to Refusal" would be more on the accessible side of academic. This was reinforced by the blurb stating that the book is, "Poised to reach beyond the academy into activist circles..." but maybe they just meant that the book discusses activism, not that the majority of activists would be able to read and utilize it.

I am not sure if it is just that I don't read a ton of philosophy or if this is truly as over the top as it seemed while I slowly slogged through it. It would have been a DNF early on when I noticed I was out of my depth, but I did want to respect the whole review copy process, so I powered through. Take my ignorant review as you may, I could very well be wrong about everything I did seem to grasp (or so I think.)

First, I can say that the title was likely chosen to draw someone in, not to actually describe the text. There is nothing in this that could be a guide. But, that happens a lot with titles and often the authors don't get the final say. The author's writing style is something I wish I had the education to understand because there is some sort of flare there, I just am lost in a sea of it. The content seems to generally be in the vein of analyzing various kinds of media and history through an academic anarchist lens. There is obviously a specific focus on guerrilla forms of organizing and action. Discussions of things like illegalism, decentralized organizing principles, compromise and "waging politics" used to stifle revolution, Queer liberation, and Black liberation, are present as well as various specific examples of guerrilla organizing groups.

He does do the Queer theory thing I really dislike in that he calls things Queer that are just outside the norm, not actually Queer. There are times where he mentions groups in ways that seemed out of line with how I understand them. For instance, he claims "new anarchists" critique anti-civ groups, insurrectionist groups, Bash Back!, etc because they "resist legibility." Maybe I don't know what resisting legibility actually means but, as a person who has been part of or adjacent to many of those types of groups, there are quite concrete cultures therein. Sometimes decent traits like refusing to be trampled on or to beg for minor concessions, but other times rampant manarchism, ableism, transphobia, etc. He mentions that there are valid critiques of these groups, but gives none, and seems to suggest that those outside these groups are somehow tamer for critiquing them for emulating many of the things we should be fighting against. Earlier in the book though he says he's not claiming everyone should take up armed resistance and that, "...the most decisive victories will not be through military means, only through a battle of intensities."

There are chapters of the book that analyze media, but some of them just seem to be simply describing it rather than analyzing it. I am not sure how some of the chapters fit into the theme. They seem to go off in unrelated directions at times. I didn't dislike all of the chapters though. As the book progressed, there were a few essays that were more accessibly written. Culp also introduced me to some movements and groups I had not heard of. I really liked the chapter called, "We Are Bad, but We Could Be Worse," which included the feminist project "Public Feelings." The idea of combined art, self care, activism, and psychology was very clever. I was sad that when I googled it, their website no longer existed. There were other examples of this where it was just exciting to read about something new (to me.)

Maybe you're a leftist philosophy buff with a PhD in some sort of critical theory and you'll get much more out of this book than I did. Maybe I just couldn't grasp Culp's writing and other people can just fine. I will read your reviews either way because, honestly, the most disappointing thing with this book is that I think great discussions could be had if only they were in a shared language. Maybe you can translate for me, reader.

This was also posted to my goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment